Tuesday 1 May 2012

Well, I had all sorts of good intentions last spring. Then life took over.

To be honest, life is still in control, but in another few weeks, there will be a brief mutiny (I'm backing myself to win) and I'm aiming to put together a sensible schedule of regular blog posts on my own work, UK tax and business issues generally.
Sneak Preview: a new set of card designs I'm trialling preparatory to putting them on sale in the summer


In particular on UK Tax issues:

The TSCB series will be back up, picking up where I left off a rather embarrassingly long year ago - stock issues for the hoarder who then decides to sell off their treasures, or make them into something else prior to selling.

Then after that, I'm not sure where the TSCB series will be headed: although it will be continuing.

That's because I'm increasingly convinced that there's a market for e-books that lay out a practical and sensible method for keeping the necessary records for UK tax for crafters.  So I need to map that out first, and then decide how much detail the free series will cover alongside the e-books which will be for sale on Etsy & Folksy.  I'd be VERY interested (either by email, Etsy convo or in the comments) to find out what subjects you'd like covered, either for free, or that you'd be prepared to pay for on UK tax.

Then of course, the fly in the ointment for my plans to dominate the marketplace of UK tax advice for small crafting businesses came out of the blue in March - the government has pulled the rug out from under me, but in a nice way, and is looking at ways to make UK tax and record keeping less complicated for small businesses.  Frankly I'm thrilled by this, and it can't come soon enough!

This proposal to simplify tax for small businesses to allow the cash basis is now under consultation, and I'll be devoting an article to what it might mean in due course.

If you're interested, you can make your views known to the Revenue by 22 June.

This is the link to the basic overview: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2012/sme-4756.pdf
And this is the link to the Consultation Document itself: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_RatesCodesTools&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_PROD1_031991

Or you could just wait for me to digest it for you; which I will do before the 22 June deadline, as it'll give everyone time to have a think and respond to HMRC if they'd like to (myself included).

Finally, the picture above is a sneak preview of a new series of cards that should be on sale by mid-summer.  In the meantime my Etsy and Folksy shops are open, please go have a look!


2 comments:

Helen Smith said...

I for one will be very happy to have it pre-digested! And even if HMRC do decide to simplify the system I think some basic how-to tax guides for crafters are a great idea.

Dotty said...

Love the cards! Great to have you back- I found your series of posts so helpful as my little business was just a tiny shoot when you last posted and it is great having things explained in an easy-to-understand way