Thursday 3 March 2011

Manchester Antique Textile Fair - The Textile Society

I heard of this quite a few years ago through friends.  I've only managed to go twice, and yet again, I won't be able to go this year.  The two times I went, I picked up some raffia/ velvet Kuba cloth, and small items of Eastern European embroideries for a very reasonable price.  Sadly I don't have pictures of them as they're in storage. So instead here's a couple of pictures from (I think) John Gillow's World Textiles book or then again they could be actual textiles from a collection I've seen, maybe the British Museum - if only my pics were sensibly named at the time!


It's happening this SUNDAY 6 MARCH 2010 at the Armitage Centre Fallowfield Manchester.  Find out more about it here or call 07719 347512.

It costs £6 basic admission.  There's 130 stalls from worldwide selling antique & vintage cloth, costumes and accessories.  There's also a demonstration area with Quilters, Lace and Embroiderers Guilds, and this year's museum showcases are from Gawthorpe Hall and Leeds Uni International Textiles Archive. There's also a graduates showcase.

In addition, there's a series of talks starting at 11.30am on African diaspora's contribution to comtemporary textiles, the winning graduates from last year's showcase, and a handcrafter who works with found objects.

The Textile Society itself has a number of interesting events and activities going on all year - http://www.textilesociety.org.uk/

1 comment:

Helen Smith said...

Ooh I'd forgotten about that... *checks diary*

I love Kuba cloth - I'm very jealous of your acquisition. Hope you can take it out of storage soon!